Peter Stein, MD
SpecialtiesHand and Upper Extremity
Surgery of the Hand & Wrist, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Dupytrens Disease, Arthritis of the Hand & Wrist, Hand & Wrist Fracture Care
Peter Stein, MD, graduated from Lafayette College with a bachelor of arts in biology in 1983 and received his medical degree from Cornell University Medical College in 1987. He completed a one-year internship in general surgery followed by a four-year residency in orthopedic surgery at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City.
Dr. Stein then completed a one-year hand and microvascular surgery fellowship at New York University Medical Center followed by a prestigious AO International Trauma Fellowship in Basel, Switzerland. He has also had international surgical experience in Hong Kong, Sweden, and China. He joined Orthopaedic Associates of Manhasset in 1993.
Dr. Stein is an attending surgeon at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset and St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn, where he is the chief of the Division of Hand Surgery. He is a clinical assistant professor of orthopedic surgery at The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell, where he teaches both medical students and resident physicians.
In addition, Dr. Stein has held academic appointments at Cornell University Medical College, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York University Medical Center, and Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He has served as chief of the Division of Hand Surgery at North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset and as a hand surgery consultant for the Long Island Ducks minor league baseball team.
Dr. Stein is an orthopedic hand surgeon who treats patients both surgically and nonsurgically. He has special interests in hand and wrist fractures, sports-related injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome and other upper extremity nerve compressions, Dupuytren’s disease, and arthritis of the hand and wrist.
Dr. Stein has lectured on numerous topics in hand surgery locally, nationally, and internationally. He is published in several peer-reviewed journals and has presented at multiple national and international conferences.
Dr. Stein is actively involved in Northwell’s orthopaedic surgery residency program where he teaches orthopedic surgery residents. In 2012, he was awarded the Arthur Weber, MD Memorial Resident Appreciation Award in recognition of his outstanding support and commitment to orthopedic surgery residents. He was also awarded the North Shore University Hospital Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Attending of the Year in 2006.
Dr. Stein is board-certified in orthopedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS) and has a certificate of added qualifications in surgery of the hand. Additionally, he serves as a national board examiner for the ABOS. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS). He is also a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and the New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, where he served as president from 2015 – 2016.
In addition to his practice, Dr. Stein is passionate about helping the Indian Health Service (IHS), an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services responsible for providing health services to Native American Indians. He travels to Chinle, Arizona, on a regular basis to perform volunteer surgery on a Navajo reservation.
Dr. Stein is recognized by his peers as a national leader in hand surgery and has been repeatedly voted to Castle Connolly’s Top Doctor list, New York magazine’s Best Doctor list, and Newsday’s Top Doctor list.
- Commercial Plans
- Managed Medicare
Anthem / BCBS (non-NY)
- Cards with the “PPO” inside the suitcase logo
Cigna / Great West
- Commercial CT, MetroNY
- Cigna MetroNY
- Commercial, including Exchange
- Managed Medicare
- GHI: CBP, National, Tristate; Bridge, Network Access, Medicare Choice PPO
- HIP: Prime, Premium, Select Care, Bridge, Medicare VIP Prime/Bold/Reserve
- With Connecticare: HMO/PPO/POS and Medicare Choice / Passage
- Commercial and Exchange (except for connection and connection exchange)
- Managed Medicare
New York Medicare
New York State Health Insurance Program
- Empire Plan
New York State Workers Compensation
- Commercial Charter, Choice, Core, Navigate, Nexus, PPO, Select and Doctors plan
- Golden Rule
- Managed Medicare
United Healthcare Oxford
- Oxford Commercial Liberty, Oxford Freedom, and Oxford Metro Plan
Hand and Microvascular Surgery Fellowship: New York University Medical Center
AO International Trauma Fellowship:
Cornell University Medical College
Orthopedic Surgery Residency: St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center
Bachelor of Arts in Biology: Lafayette College
General Surgery Internship: St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital Center
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery: Orthopaedic Surgery Board Certification
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery: Surgery of the Hand Subspecialty Certification
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- New York Society for Surgery of the Hand
- North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY
- St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY
- Chief of the Division of Hand Surgery, St. Francis Hospital, Roslyn, NY
- Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at The Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell